[mythtv-users] giving up on 0.21

Moasat mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 27 13:34:30 UTC 2008

> For me getting 0.21 working right took two parts. Biggest
> change was to Ubuntu which allowed me to use firewire capture
> from my STB. I have always compiled my own rather than use
> binaries that have everything turned on so the second part of
> the fix for me was to patch my audio code with the patch that
> fakes out the system into thinking it can run BobX2.(It can,
> but for some reason myth does not think so, this patch fixes
> that.) This for me cured my jerky video and audio issues.
> Currently running a FX5200 video on a Athlon 2.0GHz processor
> with xvmc enabled on all video over the size of standard tv.
> Nice smooth video with about 45-60% cpu usage. Have 1GB of
> ram installed. Let me know if you want a diff of the patch
> against 0.21-fixes branch.

I also use FX5200's in my two frontends.  I have to use XvMC but they
playback just fine.  I think I get around 40% CPU from an Athlon XP.  I
don't know its plus rating but it runs at about 1.4GHz.  My other system is
a 2.8GHz P4.

I had a lot of problems trying to set up pulseaudio so I have stuck with
alsa for now.  I don't think pulse is quite ready for Gentoo yet.