[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

David Fishburn dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 22:46:01 UTC 2008

> >Is it possible to dual boot the standard ATV software and linux? I'd
> >like to be able to switch easily. I didn't really see the answer on
> >the wiki.
>

> http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/AlternatePartitioning1
>
> This is a dual boot setup on the internal drive that uses a USB pen
> drive to bootstrap Linux. Remove the pen drive and reboot back to the
> AppleTV OS. This is the setup I use for my mainline disk.

I ran out and bought an ATV, so I have one ready to go.

Lots of changes have been happening and what I am really looking for
at this point is:
1.  A list of hardware
- ATV (obviously)
- Do you need a USB hub (must it be powered?)
- Do you need the USB hub only during installation?
- You indicate you are running this off a USB pen, with the main files
going on the ATV's hard drive.  That sounds like the approach I would
like to take.  Just confirming.

2.  Some reasonably current instructions.  I realize much is changing,
but I would love to give it a go.
Right now I am using Gutsy as my Myth 0.21 box.
I haven't even cracked my ATV box and some of the stuff I read on the
links provided I didn't quite understand.

So looking for a couple of current links and some short instructions
if someone has some time to help.

Much appreciated,
Dave