[mythtv-users] Storage Group Priorities

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sat Apr 26 22:30:43 UTC 2008

On 4/26/2008 12:00 PM Michael T. Dean said the following:
> On 04/26/2008 10:00 AM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I recently moved to the 0.21-fixes and am now trying to understand
>> Storage Groups.  After being bitten by one bad drive in a LVM setup on
>> 0.19 and losing EVERYTHING, I love the concept.
>>

> Yes.  MD is evil* (and by MD, I don't mean Mike Dean).

:D

>> My current situation is
>> that I have 1 TB external eSATA/USB 2.0 drive that I'm using via USB
>> because my system won't boot (hangs at the Silicon Image config screen)
>> when it's plugged into my SATA 150 port (is the drive too big?).  I also
>> have two 500 GB ATA-133 drives.  Each drive has one XFS partition and is
>> its own storage group.
>>
>> I want to prefer the internal drives for HD content as they are faster
>> and (less CPU intensive during playback) as long as there's room.  I
>> also want to limit the USB drive to either one HD recording (if is has
>> to be used) or two SD recordings at a time.  I found the wiki entry on
>> Storage Groups (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Storage_Groups) and
>> it linked to a post on the wiki by Chris Pinkham regarding Storage Group
>> Weighting
>> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Storage_Groups_Weighting).
>>

> Didn't know that was on the wiki.  I clicked reply on this message with
> the intent of linking to Chris's post on the list (that's quited on that
> page).

I always *try* to do my homework first.  :)

>>   I have
>> searched the DB tables for the fields mentioned but can not find them.
>> Do I have bad eyes or have things changed?
>>

> No.  Settings are /values/ within the DB (specifically the settings
> table), not fields.  Just insert a row with the appropriate values.  The
> specific settings you need don't exist in a normal system.  They're
> "undocumented" extra settings.

Thanks for your reply but I remain a bit confused.  If I understand what
you're saying and I wanted the default values, I would just add the
following rows to the Settings table:

           VALUE                     DATA          HOSTNAME
    SGweightPerRecording             10
    SGweightPerPlayback               5
    SGweightPerCommFlag               5
    SGweightPerTranscode              5
    SGweightLocalStarting            -1.99
    SGmaxRecOverlapMins               3

(I understand that I don't need these rows in my Settings table if I
just want the default values.)

But it seems to me that somehow these VALUE/DATA combinations need to be
associated with each member of the storage group?  In my case, I have 3
separate drives mounted as /tv, /tv1, /tv2.  I only have one storage
group named "Default"  Thus my StorageGroup table has these three entries:

+----+-----------+----------+--------------+
| id | groupname | hostname | dirname      |
+----+-----------+----------+--------------+
|  1 | Default   | tv       | /tv/record   |
|  3 | Default   | tv       | /tv1/record/ |
|  4 | Default   | tv       | /tv2/record/ |
+----+-----------+----------+--------------+

For my particular setup, I'd like to make a best effort to ensure that
HD recordings are stored on either /tv1/record or /tv2/record as these
are both ATA-133 drives.  However if the only available recording space
is on /tv/record (a USB 2.0 drive), then store it there.  I would also
like to have no more than one concurrent recording on /tv/record as long
as space is available elsewhere.

So is it possible to give different priorities to the various components
of one storage group?  Or is Chris' post about giving priority amongst
two or more storage groups? But then the priorities would have to be
associated with each storage group?  The more I think about this, the
more confused I'm making myself.  :O

Thanks for your help,

Drew

--