[mythtv-users] giving up on 0.21

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sat Apr 26 21:51:58 UTC 2008

I have been trying for a couple of months now to get the 0.21 Myth
packages from ATrpms to work well on my Fedora 8 system. I am at a dead
end. If I remove all the myth* packages, and try compiling from my old
0.20 SVN source, is there a chance this could actually work? This
version did work well under FC5 on the same hardware, so I do not
believe my problem is lack of hardware power. It has to be software
configuration, but I have tried everything I can think of. I  have tried
every playback profile from CPU-- to CPU++, and I still get "NVP:
prebuffering pause" filling my logs, and choppy or bad looking HD
playback. I also cannot get Myth to work with ALSA; the only way I can
get any audio at all is to use /dev/dsp (OSS). I've been told this is a
Pulseaudio problem, but I can't figure out how to make it work, and
removing the pulseaudio stuff from the alsa.conf file doesn't help
anyway. (The OSS audio works well enough, but I'll need ALSA eventually
when I move to optical sound output). I have also tried both 96 and 169
versions of the Nvidia driver (GeForce 5500); the 96 versions don't work
at all on this system, and it doesn't matter which subversion of the 169
driver I use, I still get crappy playback.

The closest I came to acceptable was the CPU-- profile, and that looks
OK for shows like "ER", but looks terrible for anything with fast motion
(like hockey). Even with "ER", I get prebuffering pauses when I first
start playback with crackly audio for a few seconds, then it settles
down and looks OK even though the prebuffering pause messages continue
in the log. Attached is a log sample, just in case it makes light bulbs
come on for anybody still reading this.

My next plan, when I feel a little less discouraged than  do right now,
is to try the 0.20 SVN sources. I feel like I have nothing to lose.

--Greg