[mythtv-users] Moving A Recording Between Groups

John reidjr at btconnect.com
Sat Apr 26 18:41:55 UTC 2008

Greg Mitchell wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I'm using 0.21-fixes and have a few recordings in the LiveTV group that
>> I'd like to preserve and move to the Default group.  I have not been
>> able to find the "magic" to do this.  It must be possible, either via a
>> simple key sequence or manipulation of the DB.  Would some one kindly
>> show me the light or direct me to a URL I have not been able to turn up
>> with Google?
>>

> In the watch recordings page, hit 'I' to pull up a menu, then choose
> "storage options", and "change recording group"
>
> At least that's how it works in 0.20.  I haven't had a chance to upgrade
> yet.
>
> Greg

Worth remembering that when you move between recording groups like this,
then the physical files don't move. In my case I have 3 different
drives, one each for LiveTV, Default and Kids. The LiveTv partition is
relatively small, and if you either change recording group, or press
record while watching, the video file is stored on the LiveTv disk or
partition, but marked as part of the Default group. Autoexpire works at
the partition / disk level, and if you have a smallish Livetv drive, it
will soon start deleting "Default" items stored on the LiveTv physical
drive. If you can be bothered I am sure you could either manually or by
a small script shift files around so the recording group matched the
storage group, but I never have.

John