[mythtv-users] Volume control in LiveTV mode

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 26 07:50:40 UTC 2008

On 04/25/2008 06:50 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 08:40:59 Clayton wrote:
>
>> I have a mostly nicely working MythTV install (0.21).  There is one
>> little issue that I can't sort out yet... getting volume control while
>> watching LiveTV.  According to the documentation, F9 is Mute, F10 is
>> volume down and F11 is volume up.  If I press F9, I see some test on
>> screen saying Mute On, but there is still sound (at 100% volume).  if
>> I press F10 to reduce the volume, a small box is drawn on screen
>> showing a percentage as the volume is supposed to be reduced, but the
>> actual volume remains at 100%.
>>
> Are you usuing Mythbuntu 8.04? I had similar problems.
>
> Had to go into Frontend|Setup|General|Audio Page
>
> Change:
> Audio Output Device => /dev/dsp
> Mixer Device => /dev/mixer
> Mixer Controls => Master

If the volume is unchanged when mute is enabled, the system isn't
properly configured.  If, instead, hitting mute makes the sound almost
go away (with only a hint of sound, that's the "OSS code differs from
ALSA code" thing.

Since the OP said the volume is "at 100% volume" when muted and since
changing to use the OSS code made it work properly, it simply says that
the OP's ALSA was misconfigured.

Mike