[mythtv-users] Comcast do it all MythBox...

Eric C runericrun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 21:04:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Eric C <runericrun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle [image: Wink]
>>
>> I've lurked for a bit in various places and been checking up posts, and
>> have additionally done hours upon hours of research and I can't seem to get
>> a clear answer. So I'm hoping that posting my setup idea will get some much
>> appreciated input.
>>
>> Because I am frustrated and confused as hell. heh.
>>
>> Here's the scenario:
>>
>> We have the Basic Digital package (or whatever) with Comcast, in Mountain
>> View. Have the STB which just has the S-Video out and I believe the RCA
>> video/2-channel audio, it's the slightly newer model that looks like the
>> black Motorola box but is branded differently. I was going to get a TiVO,
>> but decided instead to download the Mythbuntu distro and convinced my
>> roommate that it was better than TiVO [in so many ways].
>>
>> What we want to do:
>>
>> Plug the cable directly into the tuner, and S-video out to the TV... so we
>> can do Live TV, recording, ETC from the MythTV box. Just like a TiVO. He
>> also wants to be able to access On-Demand. The channels we're most concerned
>> about, are sub-100 (Cartoon Network for Adult Swim, History/Discovery
>> Channel, etc). We have a standard TV and don't plan on upgrading to a 1080p
>> TV until some time early next year, and thus don't care much about HD right
>> now. We want to play DVDs right from it, and the shows we've saved as well
>> as streaming from my PC of video and audio.
>>

>> I was going to obtain a PVR-150 to use (and if we need to, add another for
>> a dual-150 setup), but noticed it was for NTSC only. So I settled on the
>> HVR-1800 because it can to A/NTSC as well as OTA. Then at that point, I
>> wasn't sure if either one was going to work with the Comcast Digital service
>> without the STB. I'd rather get the 150 so I don't have to worry about
>> getting a remote, but if I need to, I can pick up a StreamZap at Fry's.
>>
>> Ultimately:
>>
>> We want to be able to use the MythTV box for everything, and take the STB
>> out of the mix. I have a feeling though, that we're going to need to IR
>> Blast it and have it do the channels for us pushing the video down through
>> the S-Video.
>>
>> Which I guess means if I want to play back, I'll have to S-Video out from
>> the video card back to the TV. That requires changing inputs on the stereo
>> receiver (*sigh* one input for watching normal TV, a different input for
>> watching the Myth box...), and I think that's a bit too much for him to
>> handle.
>>
>> -and at which point, I'm not sure if I should get the PVR-150 or the
>> HVR-1800
>>
>> So. The options are confusing, and I'm not sure. I just don't know what
>> setup is going to work.  Suggestions?
>

> It's not terribly confusing.  First, you need to hook up your cable,
> [...]
of what you've stated, then I WILL need the STB... because I will need to
access On Demand.

However that DOES seem to clarify my question of using the MythTV box for
"everything". I'll have the STB transmitting video to the PVR, changing
channels as necessary, and outputting the signal through the video card to
the TV. This means I'll have all the time shift, plus recording... but only
one channel at a time unless I get a second STB =\  but that doesn't sound
right...

So I guess it'll be an issue of getting two 150s... one that directly has
the cable going to it, for all our sub-100 recording pleasure... and a
second one so we can get our OnDemand and such.  -but wouldn't the HVR-1800
take care of that?