[mythtv-users] Comcast do it all MythBox...

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri Apr 25 20:52:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Eric C <runericrun at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have the Basic Digital package (or whatever) with Comcast, in Mountain
> View. Have the STB which just has the S-Video out and I believe the RCA
> video/2-channel audio, it's the slightly newer model that looks like the
> black Motorola box but is branded differently. I was going to get a TiVO,
> but decided instead to download the Mythbuntu distro and convinced my
> roommate that it was better than TiVO [in so many ways].
> <snip lots of plans...>

Will your roommate (or you) mind delays in channel surfing, or better
yet, give up channel surfing (since it really is a waste of time, and
one of the main goals of Mythtv is to make your time usage more
efficient)?  The channel changing delays with MythTV are noticable
with serial control, much less IR blasting.

BTW, what STB is it?  Does it have serial?  Presumably no Firewire,
since you didn't mention it.
Does your TV not have multiple inputs?   I have my STB connected to
both the TV (via coax) and to a USB PVR2.

   Marc