[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 24 19:15:08 UTC 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:03 PM, jedi wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 02:30:00PM -0400, Conrad wrote:
>> Brad,
>>
>> How did you fare with your directv receivers?  I am seriously
>> considering
>> switching, so I am looking for some recent practical experience.
>
> ...one thing that is getting me thinking about switching is the fact
> that DirecTV wants to charge a lot of money for their HD tuners and
> such. Dish seems to be willing to give you equipment for free if you
> are a new customer whereas DirecTV wants to charge you quite a bit
> for it. Plus they make noises like you're still only just leasing
> the equipment eventhough they want you to pay them a lot of money
> to buy it.
>
>   I expect to use IR blasters regardless. It's crude but it's
> always a usable fallback.

As I've mentioned in some past posts, I'm having trouble with the DISH
HD DVR going into SS mode and ruining recordings. DTV may have the
same problem. DISH units are easy to control with an IR blaster though.

I'm not sure whether they consider the receivers as belonging to me or
to them, but when I returned an old one they paid me.

beww

beww