[mythtv-users] Help debugging XvMC freezes

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Thu Apr 24 15:33:06 UTC 2008

Scott D. Davilla wrote:
> Glad this worked out, it took me months to find it under the AppleTV.
>
> I'll bet $1 that VARM clock does not matter and GPU clock does;)

Good thing that wasn't a real bet, or you'd be out $1!

If I leave the GPU speed at stock, taht's when it'll freeze.  I was running
overnight on liveTV, and wouldn't you know it ten minutes after I check on
it in the morning it locked up.  That was at 300 MHz, so I figured I'd bump
it all the way down to 200 MHz (hey it worked for you) and let it go through
the day and see where we're at.

If I leave the VRAM (nee virtual arm...  :) ) at stock speed, I don't get
freezes, but I get green video corruption after just a few minutes.  I
turned that down from 650 to 500 MHz, and at least that part of the problem
has not happened again.

> I ran continuous 1080i LiveTV display for three days before I
> confident it was fixed.

Not a bad test at all!  Not one I can pass yet, unfortunately.  Being
pragmatic, running for eight hours or so continously is probably good
enough.  (I rarely watch more than an hour at any one sitting.)