[mythtv-users] DVI and SVideo on one system -- how???

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 23 15:53:43 UTC 2008

On Apr 23, 2008, at 8:42 AM, allene222 wrote:

> I am building a MythTV setup with both a TV (SVideo) and a projector
> (DVI).  We usually watch TV shows on the TV and movies on the
> projector.  I have tried various installs and can't seem to figure out
> how to get video to play on both outputs.  When the computer is
> booting,
> both outputs are valid so I have some hope.
>
> If I reboot the computer, it will play successfully into whichever
> device is connected without me doing anything but rebooting is not an
> option with a combined front and back system.  As I said, we will only
> be watching one at a time so I just need a solution that does not
> involve rebooting.
>
> I tried installing Mythbuntu with Video output enabled and again
> with it
> disabled.  Both have issues and both work with reboot although in
> different ways.
>
> Mythbuntu 7.10
> P4-2.4GHz
> eVGA 6200
> XvMC
> Interpolated
> SATA 500G disk
>
> Is there any hope for me???

Use the nvidia-settings application or modify your xorg.conf file so
that you're using twinview and mirroring the screens. You'll have to
choose a resolution that makes sense for both outputs (i.e. something
compatible with s-video). OR.. you can extend your display across both
outputs and use different resolutions on each. OR.. you can switch to
the one you want and log out/back in of your session. You don't have
to reboot. This isn't Windows. ;)

If you need help with your xorg.conf file, there are lots of twinview
how to's for ubuntu that should get you going.

-Brad