[mythtv-users] OT: Hauppauge HD-PVR ships May 1

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 02:16:46 UTC 2008

> Then it becomes irrelevant which stable release I attempt to use until
> "rc3" and proves exactly what I was saying; there is something hinky
> about the HD-PVR's output.  Because if it was pure h264 it'd be playing
> back... just like all the other h264'd content I've got same if it was
> pure MPEG-2. Wither that's because the HD-PVR is using, never before
> used, bits of the specifications, upated version of the specifications
> or just doing it's own sweet thing I honestly couldn't tell you and TBQH
> I'm not fussed.

Let me try this a different way.  h.264 is a codec, not a container.
The HD-PVR outputs two muxed streams:  h.264 for video, AAC for audio.
 These two streams are muxed inside of a slightly modified MPEG-2 TS
container which is played perfectly fine by current SVN mplayer and
ffplay/ffmpeg.  Your issues with playing it have nothing to do with
any sort of "hinkiness" w/ the HD-PVR h.264 output.  The streams in
the file are plain old h.264 and AAC.  Your problem is that your
versions of mplayer and ffplay cannot *demux* the file properly.  Were
it able to, it would likely play the streams within with no issues.

Robert