[mythtv-users] OT: Hauppauge HD-PVR ships May 1

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Wed Apr 23 00:27:59 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 01:11:30 Sarah Katherine Hayes wrote:
> Janne Grunau wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 April 2008 17:56:25 Sarah Katherine Hayes wrote:
> >> Actually, a dumb question but semi-on topic.  How goes getting
> >> playback of it's recordings working in Linux?  The sample that was
> >> around made mplayer and co. explode.
> >
> > Your mplayer was either to old or your computer was not fast
> > enough. The posted samples played fine in mplayer, ffplay and even
> > mythtv 0.21 when compiled with ACC decoding support
> > (--enable-libfaad).
>
> MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6,
> Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
>
> Not the latest version but recent.  Not a slow/old computer.   Unless
> your stating a core 2 duo isn't fast enough to playback HD....

It could depending on the stream. I forgot to mention that you need
multithreaded decoding.

> which
> would be silly as it does 720p and 1080p just fine as h264'd mkv's.

H.264 is a complex format. The computing power needed for decoding
varies with bitrate and used parameters.

> Single frame displayed, green chunks and heavily distorted.  Followed
> by nothing.  Whatever was in that .ts file was not h264 or mpeg2.

It is H.264, at least all samples I have seen. Do you still have the
filename of that sample? Is it still somewhere available? I'll look
tomorrow which sample I've tested. Your error descroiption sound like
the artifacts for spatial direct mode with interlaced frames. That
might or might not be fixed in latest fmmpeg svn.

Janne