[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 and the analog hole

F.B. Parker fbp.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 13:19:19 UTC 2008

Greetings

I will probably want to buy one of the Hauppauge HD PVR
units once it becomes available so I can record HDTV. The
stuff I'm interested in is mostly encrypted on my cable
company's digital cable service (ESPN HD, Discovery Channel,
SPEED), so HDHR is really not an option for me. I'm
currently getting only analog cable with no cable box; I
haven't made the jump to digital cable yet.

I have a couple of questions re: the analog hole that the
Hauppauge unit exploits: is the component video out on cable
boxes always enabled, or is it something that the cable
companies can/will turn off or set to lower resolution? Are
the cable companies under any legal obligation to provide
their encrypted content over the component video outs to,
e.g., support owner of older HDTVs with only component
inputs?

I LOVE mythtv for SD analog cable stuff, but I'm just
wondering if recording encrypted HD is going to be possible
with mythtv (once the necessary drivers are written, of
course). Or are the cable companies going to/likely to
disable component video on their cable boxes? Is this
something they currently do? I'd hate to have to use the
cable company's DVR, which is supposedly pretty crappy.

F.B. Parker