[mythtv-users] Suggested Software for Recording HDTV

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Tue Apr 22 03:09:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 20:46 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> Yeah, those are designed for analog frame grabber cards.
>
> Have you tried Kaffeine? It's supposed to be able to deal with digital
> TV, but I've never played with it. I think it has record capability.
>
> beww

I have tried kaffeine and it does have a record feature but it does not
appear to work with the pchd3000 card that I have.

I was able to use dtvscan to create a channels.conf file for xine. It
works on F8 but it is a little flaky (works better under F6). So I can
get xine to tune the card to a digital channel. There probably is a way
to get it to output the stream to a file but I haven't had a chance to
test it completely. I think mplayer can be similarly used. I thought
kaffeine uses xine as an engine but not sure why it doesn't seem to work
with the card.

Rick B.