[mythtv-users] Small issues solved.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 22 02:30:51 UTC 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 8:14 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Dan Ritter wrote:
>> Ah, is that the infamous cold solder joint? Thanks, I'll take a
>> look.
>>
> Because of RoHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances) rules in the EU,
> manufacturers have had to remove lead from solder.  The new alloys are
> more brittle than tin-lead solder, increasing the chances of cracked
> joints, and I suspect there's been something of a learning curve
> when it
> comes to making reliable joints.

And how long will it be before they figure out that the substitute
metals are actually more toxic than lead. Antimony, Bismuth and who
knows what else?

They've outlawed lead shot here for bird hunting. You can now buy
bismuth shells, of course the price is a tad higher. Lead rifle
bullets are still fine though.

beww