[mythtv-users] DISH 722 receiver and "screen saver"

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 22 00:29:22 UTC 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-21-04 at 18:54 -0500, Misty P wrote:
>
>> Well if you really want to get crazy, put your receiver on x10 (or
>> zwave or
>> whatever), and rig up a little box that would enable/disable the
>> phone line
>> via a command.  Enable the phone line, bounce the receiver at 3:30
>> AM, cut
>> the phone line, bounce again at 4:00 AM....  solved!
>>
>> (...but that sounds like a lot of work, even on principle.)
>
> If you are doing it on a fixed schedule then just use a timer
> instead of
> x10.

Not using a phone line, using an ethernet connection. I can have my
firewall deny any connection at the download time, but I suspect that
will incur the extra charge.

Now it's doing something new: In the middle of a recording a screen
comes up saying "The system will now shut down to check for important
updates, select "No" to continue viewing television".

Of course I didn't see this until I played the recording. I am
starting to get VERY annoyed with DISH.

beww