[mythtv-users] slow mythweb?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 21 21:09:00 UTC 2008

Ronald Frazier wrote:
>>  Also you assume (again that word) I am a programmer.
>
> Well, if you aren't, you might want to try learning some scripting,
> because you'll need if for my suggestion
>
>>  If the software asks too much of the system for recording 3 channels
>>  continuously, waht do you estimate I would need for such a tiny task
>>  with the few days of program info I have?
>
> One way to get around it might be to not schedule everything in
> advance. Perhaps you could write a shell script that runs periodically
> and sets up a schedule to record specific timeslots with the "record
> only this showing" option. In essence, it would work as follows
>
> at 3AM, the script creates a new recording schedule for each show that
> starts between 4AM and 8AM.
> at 7AM, the script delete any schedules for shows that ended before
> 6AM, and then creates new schedule for shows strarting 8AM to 12PM
> at 11AM, delete those ending before 10AM, create for those starting 12PM to 4PM
> at 3PM, delete those ending before 2PM, create for those starting 4PM to 8PM
> etc
>
> This way, the system will only be aware of a few dozen schedules at a
> time. It should do what you want with relatively low overhead (but I
> make no promises).
>
> Sorry, I don't know of any code you can use as a starting point for this.

There might be an even easier solution: just three recording rules, or perhaps a
small multiple of three, one (set) per channel, set up as manual recordings. Why
bother with scheduling real programs if you are just pulling the whole stream
down? Dump the nightly schedule updates, just do the whole thing manually.

Mike Perkins