[mythtv-users] DISH 722 receiver and "screen saver"

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 21 18:43:34 UTC 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Misty P wrote:

>> Anybody have a better solution?
>
> Does your remote have a "clear" button?  My old D* boxes had screen
> savers
> that would wake up on any remote keypress, and the best way to wake
> them up
> without actually *doing* something was sending clear, then whatever
> I really
> wanted to send.
>
> (So the total solution might be to *not* turn off the screen saver,
> but deal
> with it by adding "clear" as a prefix.)

No clear button, it does have a "cancel" which is probably the same.
In any case, it doesn't do anything if the unit is in ss mode.

Of course some of the conspiracy theorists seem to think that DISH is
doing this intentionally to stop people using external DVRs (replay
users seem to think this) but I doubt it, they are already getting
their money for the box, why would they care? I suspect it's just that
they don't think about things like this.

I can stop this behavior by disconnecting the phone line and/or
ethernet, so it never gets a complete download and thus doesn't go
into ss mode. I don't care if the box gets schedule info or not but
the problem with that solution is they charge more $$$ if you are not
connected to them somehow. I guess they think you are stealing pay-per-
view programming or trying to beat the sports blackout rules.

A friend of mine told them his receiver was in an RV, so he couldn't
connect to them, but they still charged him the extra fee. It's not
the money, it's not much, but the principle of the thing.

beww