[mythtv-users] popcorn hour + UPnP to watch tv?

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Apr 21 14:17:51 UTC 2008

David Durham, Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM, David Durham, Jr.
> <david.durham.jr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey, this is kind of neat:
>>
>>  http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
>>
>>  And supports UPnP.  On the topic of UPnP, is it possible to watch,
>>  pause, rewind, etc. live tv with UPnP?  Isn't that the new holy grail
>>  for cheap and quiet mythtv front ends?
>
> Oops, just saw the other post on popcorn hour.  My bad.

FYI...

I'm using mythtv 21.  The PCH suffers from the same problems as other
Syabas/SigmaDesign boxes.  Apparently, you can play back mythtv
recordings unless you have to negotiate more then one level of menus.
Then it all falls apart.  On the other hand, I can negotiate directory
after nested directory (which shows up as menu after menu on these
boxes) while browsing the videos.  I haven't had time to turn on upnp
debugging and look through the logs to see if there is anything pointing
to the problem.  My guess, something timed out - maybe the mythtv upnp
server doesn't get along w/mysql??  That reasoning falls out of not
being able to browse recordings by having no problems with browsing videos.

On a completely unrelated client, my netgear music client has
difficulties with the mythtv upnp server as well.  Where it doesn't on
other commercial servers like Twonkyvision.

There is an effort to port the mvpmc.org program to PCH.  That should
include a custom mythtv front end (note: not a real mythtv front end,
but the one developed for the MediaMVP box).  But that effort's a ways
off yet.

On the Galaxy, I can pause and go to a specific percentage of a upnp
program.  On the PCH, I can pause and FF to a specific spot of a upnp
program.  I don't believe the mythtv upnp server offers up live TV.

If you are bent on using mythtv recordings and one of these boxes, you
might try one of the methods to give recordings user friendly names and
serve them up with SwisCenter or WizD.  My guess is that these upnp
media servers will work better - at least until someone works out the
bugs in the mythtv upnp server - if there are any.

BTW: Here are just some of what should be similar players to the PCH:
Networked Players :
- I-O Data LinkPlayer
- Buffalo LinkTheater
- Snazio Net Cinema