[mythtv-users] Upgrade from Fedora 8 to CentOS 5.1

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 20 23:21:55 UTC 2008

Rich West wrote:
> kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Since the ivtv driver still hasn't been fixed for capturing closed
>> captions with a PVR-250, I'm thinking of going back to an older kernel
>> where CC capture was still working properly.  To settle on this, I
>> have chosen CentOS 5.1.
>>
>> Is it possible for me to insert the CentOS DVD and just do an upgrade
>> installaion, or will I have to reformat my whole system to get CentOS
>> on there?
>>
>> Anyone have experience with this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I've had some experience moving from one arch to another (painful, but
> very successful) and from one distro to another, and I have to tell you,
> you will cause yourself a lot of headaches with attempting to "upgrade"
> to CentOS 5.1 from Fedora 8.  I have nothing against CentOS, but
> remember that it is based upon RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.1 (highly
> stable), which is typically behind the Fedora distro (more bleeding edge
> = less stability) with regard to the versions of packages and such.
>
> Effectively, you would be 'downgrading', which might cause all sorts of
> headaches.
>
> However, with that said, you would probably get the best feel for the
> whole process if you downloaded a free copy of VMWare server, created
> yourself a VM, copied your myth server install from your current server
> to the VM, and went through the upgrade within the VM to see how far you
> got.  Weigh that experience against performing a clean CentOS install +
> atrpms packages + mythtv configuration (back up the database and import
> it to the new install).  My bet is that you'll get things back up and
> running faster by performing a clean install.
>
> If you have it, I'd also recommend performing the clean install on
> another disk so you can back out of the whole thing just by swapping
> hard drives in the event that it doesn't go as well as you had hoped.
>
> -Rich

I always start with a fresh install when I upgrade, I usually make an
image of my existing root partition first and copy it to my video
partition.
that way I don't have to worry about forgetting to back up any config
files or scripts. After, I can mount it as a loop device and copy them
over.

 - Richard