[mythtv-users] Troubles with Irtrans VFD

tim dennis tdennis.sub at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 20:50:53 UTC 2008

Another day, another test.

As a follow up to the VFD problems I have been having below, I decided to
check the response when  starting mythfrontend as per normal, then killing
the mythlcdserver pid, then starting mythlcdserver manually.

Basically the following:

1) Clean up:
$ pkill -HUP mythlcdserver (just to be sure to kill of any residuals before
test)

2) Start mythfrontend with verbose preferences:
$ mythfrontend -v all,nodatabase,nomedia

(Note: At this point mythfrontend has not connected to VFD display properly)

3) Find mythlcdserver PID:
$ ps ax | grep mythlcdserver

4) Kill mythlcdserver PID
$ sudo kill -9 3605

5) Manually start mythlcdserver with verbose preferences (within 10 seconds)
$ /usr/bin/mythlcdserver -v all -x 10

The result is that after killing mythlcdserver and restarting it manually it
connects perfectly and VFD starts displaying time and date, menu's work...
everything is good.

After this test I am now starting to believe that mythfrontend (as of 0.21)
is somehow responsible for the problem...

This afternoon I will start compiling and testing previous versions of
LCDproc (0.5.2, 0.5.1, 0.5.0... 0.4.3) just to be sure.

Tim