[mythtv-users] transcode?

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Sun Apr 20 20:35:09 UTC 2008

steve wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>
> | Hard drives are pretty cheap these days :-)
>
> steve is saving pennies for a pair of Iphones, economic stimulus where
> are you?????? may 9 isnt coming fast enough lol.  .......but....... If I
> were to take say a spare HD out of a dead IBM netvista (junk) 80 gig,
> what do I have to do just format it in fdisk, switch the jumpers to
> slave and will the OS recognize it so I can use it?  new territory for
> me here...

There are several guides on installing a hard drive you can find using
google. Linux will recognize the drive automatically and you can
partition it using fdisk and format it using the appropriate mkfs
command e.g. mkfs.xfs or jfs_mkfs. Then mount it on your filesystem and
add it to /etc/fstab to have it automatically mounted at boot time.

If you want a gui tool to help with this gparted can do most of this.

Since 500GB drives are <$100 and 1TB are around $200 you should consider
getting a larger drive if you are going to all this trouble especially
considering that an old drive may not be reliable.

John

john