[mythtv-users] transcode?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 17:17:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 9:58 AM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:

>  Brian Wood wrote:

> | I thought there was something you had to do to get a Windows machine
>  | to deal with the mpeg stream from a PVR, but it's been a while and I
>  | don't use Windows. If you say the Windows box can play live TV from a
>  | PVR then I guess this is not true.
>  | beww
>
>  well, I downloaded the "stable" windows FE, and gave that a shot...
>  works fine now.  go figure.  AND.... get this ....I went back to the
>  "testing" version .5 or something like that , and now that one works
>  with no codec errors!!&*?   ANYWAY....... I changed all transcoders to
>  mp4 so i wont have a problem in the future with codec errors. thanks for
>  the input.

Steve,
   Glad you got it working. Congrats.

   Question: Why are you transcoding? Are your .mp4 files smaller than
the .mpg that show up by default?

   Note: I am assuming that my system isn't 'transcoding' and that the
.mpg files saved by Myth are just what comes out of the ivtv driver by
default. I presume they are because I can save output directly to a
file, as in cat /dev/v4l/video0 >test.mpg) and they play so I assume
Myth isn't really doing anything to my files.

   I'd like to investigate transcoding that significantly reduces file
size since our interests here are less about perfect quality and more
about saving episodes. We currently run out of disk space about every
4-5 days making it hard to take a two week vacation, etc.

cheers,
Mark