[mythtv-users] transcode?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 20 14:02:03 UTC 2008

On Apr 19, 2008, at 9:27 PM, steve wrote:

> ok, I guess im not clear on how things are recorded.  so the pvr150
> provides a mpeg2 stream which myth records.  What does the
> transcoder do
> then, I have it checked off to transcode after shows record, and I
> have
> all profiles set at mp4.  just changed them.

Transcode does what it says, it transcodes a file from one format to
another. The main reason folks transcode to mpeg4 is to save disk
space. Often this is done after cutting the commercials out.

> windows fe just watches recordings, and sometimes live tv.  tv works
> fine, recordings always say no codec.

If you can watch live TV then the box can handle the codec coming from
the card directly. If you have problems only with transcoded files
then you are transcoding them into some format the f/e can't handle.

I thought there was something you had to do to get a Windows machine
to deal with the mpeg stream from a PVR, but it's been a while and I
don't use Windows. If you say the Windows box can play live TV from a
PVR then I guess this is not true.

beww