[mythtv-users] lircd don't start automatically

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Apr 20 00:20:01 UTC 2008

Claude Gélinas wrote:
> After a complete reinstall and upgrade to FC8 everything is fine except lircd
> which do not start after reboot.
>
> In  /etc/modprobe.conf I have at the last line:
>
> # lirc
> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
>
> chkconfig tell me:
>
> lirc            0:arrêt 1:arrêt 2:marche        3:marche        4:marche
> 5:marche 6:arrêt
> lircd           0:arrêt 1:arrêt 2:marche        3:marche        4:marche
> 5:marche 6:arrêt
>
> so it should start in graphycal mode
>
> I need to manually load lirc_i2c with modprobe lirc_i2c and then /sbin/service
> lircd start to get it to work
>
> any idea of what I'm missing

Long ago on this list, someone pointed out that lirc really wants to be
the first line in modprobe.conf. And the 'install lirc_i2c...' is
possibly not needed.

More importantly, you have a 'lirc' and 'lircd', while you should only
have an lircd. Remove the lirc file from /etc/rc.d/init.d.

I presume you have an executable lircd, (about 250Kb in size) in
/usr/local/bin or /usr/local/sbin, and an lircd.conf in one of those
places (or in /etc : make sure that they are the same). You also need a
/home/mythtv/lircrc file (if you run the mythfrontend as user 'mythtv'.
If you run as root put a copy in /root, but to avoid problems,  make it
a symlink pointing to /home/mythtv/lircrc.

Make sure you have a /etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules file, then check, by
doing chkconfig lircd off and rebooting, to see that you do NOT have a
/dev/lirc (or /dev/lirc0) entry, then run modprobe lirc_i2c and see if
(that) /dev/lirc has been created by udev.
(Then re-set 'chkconfig lircd on').

(The lircd daemon and udev create the lirc entry. The frontend program
uses the lircd socket.)

Note that if you want to test lirc with mode2, lircd should not be
running while irw requires that lircd be running..which can be confusing...

Geoff