[mythtv-users] Suggested Software for Recording HDTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 19 23:42:31 UTC 2008

On Apr 19, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> I'm using an 64-bit Athlon system running Fedora 8. I haven't had any
> success in installing mythtv. On an almost identical computer running
> Fedora 6, I use crontab and pchdtvr to schedule and record HDTV
> broadcasts and playback with xine or mplayer or vlc. But I haven't
> been
> able to compile pchdtvr under F8. I can use getatsc to save to a file
> and then killall to end getatsc.
>
> I was wondering if there was some other recording software that would
> work under F8 without installing mythtv. mythtv would be nice if I
> could
> get it to compile but I've been happy just using the command line
> approach. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing
> them.

If you are having trouble compiling MythTV you might want to consider
MythDora. The latest version (MythDora5) is in beta now and should be
released very soon. It's FC8-based. Essentially the goal is a "one
disk install", and you should be able ot get a working installation
in  under 30 minutes.

http://g-ding.tv/

Being a beta, there are a few minor glitches, you probably want to
wait for the release. I don't think they are accepting any new
testers, which usually means they are quite close to a release.

There are other "all in one" Myth releases, KnoppMyth and Mythbuntu
come to mind, they are Debian and Ubuntu based respectively.

If you just want to record, MythTV might be overkill, but if you want
all the bells and whistles it's great.

beww