[mythtv-users] OT - Cold Solder Joints, was: Small issues solved.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 19 16:15:04 UTC 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Andreas Witte wrote:

> Long, long time ago i got an old monitor, that got failures everywhere
> around. As i watch inside, i was shocked how bad that all was
> soldered.
> I resolder every pin on every board in this monitor. Back to Power:
> All problems was solved for years - until it died.
>
> Some think soldering is something like baking a cookie i believe... :)

Heathkit (remember them?) once said that over 90% of the units
returned to them as "defective" were simply victims of poor soldering.

NASA has (or at least had) a special school for soldering, having
learned that it was a major cause of problems.

Consistent soldering was a major reason manufacturers moved to printed
circuit technology.

Hand soldering is a vanishing art, and you certainly can't hire a good
solderer for minimum wage.

beww