[mythtv-users] A/V Receivers & MythTv

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:45:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 1:11 AM, DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:
>  Andrew Close wrote:
>  > with the recent release of MythTv .21 and in an effort to help our
>  > flagging economy ;)  i'm in the process of upgrading my entire
>  > 'entertainment center'.  one of the big components i'll be upgrading
>  > is my A/V Receiver.  at the moment, the Denon 3808CI is the front
>  > runner.  i'm just curious to see what other Mythers use and why.  i
>  > haven't found a receiver yet that will take input/commands via any
>  > input aside from the remote.  the Denon has an RJ45 ethernet jack on
>  > it, as do other receivers; has anyone been able to get their receiver
>  > to change sound fields, presets, volume, etc. via RJ45?  it would be
>  > quite cool to use LIRC/Myth to control the whole ball of wax.
>
> That salesman would have to produce some pretty thorough  documentation
>  of technical specifications that I could verify on my own before I'd buy
>  a receiver for its video switching/scaling capabilities.  As other
>  replies have implied, Myth (and other playback sources) are playing on
>  (preferably) a near state-or-the-art technology.  Taking that technology
>  and directly driving the individual pixels of a 1920x1080(p) display
>  produces phenomenal performance.  That said, I presume new AVRs are
>  designed to handle BlueRay resolutions.  Which are..., 1920x1080p!

actually, Myth just uses Xv for scaling, its pretty basic, and for the
most part sucks. I currently let my Panasonic plasma convert from
source resolution to its native 1080p and it looks much better. I've
yet to try and let my Denon AVR3806 do the conversion, though from
what I hear it does a decent job.

I've got an Oppo 981HD dvd player I use for watching DVD's, it has
*amazing* 1080p upscaling, and watching a DVD on it compared to Myth
is night and day difference on my plasma.

All this talk makes me wonder how good my 3806 will do with the
conversion though since right now I just have it passing the HDMI
output from my Myth frontend to my TV (though I do have it converting
all my sources to HDMI sans scaling and it does a fine job of that).

>  So, presuming the AVR can really handle the video and your video card
>  can output to it without degrading its 1920x1080 resolution in the
>  process and it can pass it faithfully via DVI/HDMI, it probably boils
>  down to your logistics, preferences and SOF (significant other factors),
>  like how many remotes will be needed to switch between this and
>  that.....  I obviously know nothing but have opinions, anyway....

thats where a nice universal like the MX-500 comes in handy =)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!