[mythtv-users] Storage Groups or NFS for distributed video storage

Jim Shank jim.shank at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:27:54 UTC 2008

I have a Master backend that holds all of my recordings and all of my videos
except for a complete series on a Slave frontend in another room. I have no
trouble accessing the recordings but video's are another problem. I would
like to see all of my videos in a single logical structure. I have 2
different directory structures:

Master MythTV Backend/Frontend (.21)

|-video (recordings directory, default Storage Group)
  |-Movies
    |- Series1
    |- Series2
    |- Series3

Slave MythTV Frontend (.21) Originally MythDora which explains the different
structure

|-storage
  |- posters
  |- recordings
  |- videos
     |- Series4

I would like to allow both systems to access the movies on the master
backend and the additional series on the frontend transparently.

Scenario 1: NFS
I tried creating an NFS mount at the Master:/video directory to the slave
and then adding a Series4 under /video/Movies/Series4 and then connecting
that directory to an NFS mount back to the slave:/storage/videos/Series4. On
slave I mounted Master:/video to /video and told MythTV Slave that it's
video root was /video. This worked well for Master, I could see everything
but Slave couldn't see /video/Movies/Series4. I may have incorrectly setup
/etc/exports:

Slave /etc/export:
/storage/videos/Series4         Master(ro,crossmnt,nohide)

Slave /etc/fstab:
master:/video/ /video/	nfs     defaults        0 0

Master /etc/export:
/video  slave(ro,crossmnt,nohide)

Master /etc/fstab:
slave:/storage/videos/Series4 /video/Movies/Series4/        nfs     defaults
0 0

Looks like this:
Master MythTV Backend/Frontend (.21)

|-video (recordings directory, default Storage Group)
  |-Movies
    |- Series1
    |- Series4 -> NFS to Slave:/storage/videos/Series4

Slave MythTV Frontend (.21) Originally MythDora which explains the different
structure

|-video -> NFS to Master:/video
  |-Movies
    |- Series1
    |- Series4 -> NFS to Master:/video/Movies/Series4 which comes back to
Slave:/storage/videos/Series4 (ugly and doesn't work)

|-storage
  |- videos
     |- Series4

Scenario 2: Storage Groups
I setup a storage group but ended up with a folder icon that navigated to
the slaves path, the videos didn't appear in the same structure and I lost
all metadata and posters.

I just purchase a new 650GB HD and was thinking about just copying all of
the videos to the same directory but this seems to violate the Storage
Groups concept which allows unlimited distributed storage without resorting
to using NFS or LVM.

Thanks in advance for any advice and making it this far in the message.