[mythtv-users] Preview Errors caused by superfluous LiveTV zero length files?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 16:25:18 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> And if they haven't been generated ahead of time, enabling their display
> would make the Watch Recordings screen completely unusable.  Since
> there's no harm in generating them, ...

(In reference to preview images.) Mike, I know that this comes up every so
often, and I know what your views on them are, but consider this:

Quite a lot of users have our video directories optimised to store honking great
files, since that's what videos generally are. Unfortunately, preview files are
generally only a few Kb, and there is often more than one per video, so, since
our allocation blocks are usually much larger, the preview files do actually
waste a lot of space.

Also, not all of us live in the States and and are able to get our disk space
very cheaply.

I'm not against preview files, although I personally consider them a waste of
time. Other people may find them useful. However, wouldn't it be helpful in the
case of the allocation problem if they went in their own directory, which could
have smaller allocation sizes?

In fact, thinking about it, a directory name of the form
..../previews/<size>/<name>.png might be preferable to some of the strange
filenames I keep seeing in my video directory.

Mike Perkins