[mythtv-users] Popcorn Hour HD Media device

Jay jay at donoghue.org
Fri Apr 18 15:43:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <
lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> anyone looked at the Popcorn Hour (http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
> )
> wireless/wired media device as a front end to MythTV - its similar to the
> MVP
> but support HD outpput via HDMI and multiple codecs including Xvid and
> H.264.

I have one that I bought to replace a front end on my LCD TV.  It has worked
great for serving up my content through NFS mounts - iso, mkv, mpeg2, avi
all work, though some are more feature rich (i.e. ff/rw on mkv doesnt always
work properly).

I have tried using Myth's uPNP, but the Popcorn Hour winds up timing out
when I drill down to "By Title" in the recordings group.  I dont know if
this is a Myth or PCH issue... In the meantime, I just put together a few
PHP pages that are served up from my master backend.  I can browse my
recordings and videos, and get the added benefit of cover art, etc from the
Myth database.

I'd love to see a full Myth feature set for it, whether through mvpmc (which
I currently use elsewhere in the house) or native to Myth.

 - J