[mythtv-users] Several Items: Remote, IR Receiver, Fedora 9, etc.

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 06:36:25 UTC 2008

On 18/04/2008, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions:  First, has anyone tried Myth with one of the beta/pre-release
> versions of Fedora 9?  I know we're about a month away (I expect 9 to ship
> right around the time I start this project) from it's release and I'm trying
> to figure out if I should "blaze the trail" so to speak with a new setup or
> go with Fedora 8...I kinda hate being a version of software behind at the
> git-go but on the other hand I have 2 weeks to get the WAF back up to at
> least where it is now.  Opinions?  8?  9?

If this is a dedicated PVR machine and you're used to using Fedora,
seriously consider installing CentOS instead of Fedora 9. CentOS has
long term support, will be supported on atrpms.net when Fedora 9 goes
EOL, and is very stable. It does not use the latest and greatest
kernel (currently 2.6.18, so it might not be suitable if you have
hardware which requires very new driver support), but you can still
use pre-built binaries of MythTV, LIRC etc and because it's a Red Hat
derived distro, looks and feels a lot like Fedora, just without the
upgrade headaches.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: