[mythtv-users] AppleTV as backend?

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Thu Apr 17 00:41:50 UTC 2008

Scott D. Davilla wrote:
> In refining the KnoppMyth installation, I'm running a combined
> front/backend pulling from a HDHomeRun. This works but the combined
> load of frontend, backend and mysql really puts a load on the system.
> When mythfilldatabase kicks off, stutter time in LiveTV when doing
> 1080i. Add commercial strip/transcoding jobs and it's way too much.

Heh, this sounds exactly like my P3-550 MHz combined FE/BE system.
Solution:  I run mfdb at night, only start the job queue after 11:00 pm when
I know I'll be in bed, and if I notice I spend more time transcoding shows
(13 fps at medium quality settings) than watching television, it's time to
stop watching television and do something productive :D

Brian