[mythtv-users] Viedo2ipod script error

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Apr 16 17:16:52 UTC 2008

>  The problem comes in with how I'm doing the update - copying the new
>  recording to the myth_storage_dir as defined earlier in the thread,
>  then doing a mysql UPDATE, matching chanid and starttime and updating
>  "basename". If the previous database schema has the "basename" field,
>  it should still work. If they don't use it the same way, it might not.

Looks like database version 1208 updated basename to be 255 chars long
(used to be 128). Not sure where that change lies in the grand scheme
of things (don't mind the pun). I imagine that with a 128 character
limit, you'd still be all set (just be careful with your
FilenameTemplate function, make sure you don't let it get too long). I
haven't yet found what version marked the arrival of the basename
field.

Basically - if the mythrename script works, video2ipod should work
(for re-inserting videos), as it does it the same way (I used
mythrename as a guide).

If you want to verify this, do a dump of your "recorded" table, and make sure:
A). it has a "basename" field
B). the "basename" field is the filename of the recording
(XXXX_XXXXXXXXX.mpg or whatever)
If it does have those, it should work!

But as always, do not try it on recordings you care about until you've
really tested it out. Worst case is that it fouls up a recording. Most
likely a failure will mean that the actual mpg file will be intact
(moved to a backup directory), but the database entry will be
incorrect. So if you're in doubt - record some terrible show you don't
even like, and run the script on that. If it corrupts that entry, use
myth.find_orphans to fix it. Believe me, I screwed up a LOT of shows
writing this thing, but I now trust it enough to let it mass-encode
all 70-something episodes of Futurama and the first 2 seasons of
heroes for my iPod.