[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Apr 16 15:46:44 UTC 2008

>  > 720p mpeg2 using Xv is about 50 percent or less. 1080i using XvMC
>>  runs 65-80 percent depending on what's going on (content wise). 1080i
>>  will spike to 100 when OSD is up, when EPG is up it's more or less
>>  back to 65-80 percent even running the video display.
>
>What about Xvid avis? Is that comparable to the mpeg2 Xv performance for
>the same resolution?

I have no experience with those formats. All my content is mpeg2
(PVR-150s and HDHomeRun) and I'm starting to explore h.264 capture
options. 720p h.264 seems fine, even higher bit-rate with the
skiploopfilter. MPlayer is my test app for these. I don't offhand
remember the cpu load if I'm not close to saturation.

The 1080p h.264 Apple movie trailers will almost play correctly with
the skiploopfilter in MPlayer. Audio will sometimes lag video which
is really video is not decoded fast enough. h.264 decode is still a
moving target in ffmpeg so this might/might not improve in the future.

Got some test clips? Be happy to try them.