[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Apr 16 14:34:05 UTC 2008

>W.Kenworthy wrote:
>>  though I am using
>>  openvpn over wpa so there is a little too much overhead (cpu bound)
>>  for it.
>
>You REALLY don't want people to know what you're watching do you ;) ?  I
>imagine with no VPN and perhaps no WPA you could get HD streaming.  It
>depends on what the CPU loads are on the Apple TV.  Scott mentioned the
>Apple TV can do 1080i and 720p, but what are the CPU load percentages during
>those two?  Would VPN put the CPU over the top?

720p mpeg2 using Xv is about 50 percent or less. 1080i using XvMC
runs 65-80 percent depending on what's going on (content wise). 1080i
will spike to 100 when OSD is up, when EPG is up it's more or less
back to 65-80 percent even running the video display.

About six months running code from svn trunk, this was different and
cpu load was much less when OSD was up. Something in frontend code
changed and I've not tracked it down. Seems to be around the time
that a52 was purged and the bad ffmpeg sync that killed ac3 decode
from mpeg2 content with a segfault.

I have had 1080i mpeg2 being decoded and displayed while running a
nice'd kernel compile in the background. video display never faulted.

There are reports of other Linux on AppleTV users doing wifi with
sucess but I don't know what video content they are using.