[mythtv-users] chirping in recordings with pchdtv hd-3000's and 0.21

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 04:36:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Patrick Wagstrom <patrick at wagstrom.net> wrote:

> > It appears that between 0.20.2 and 0.21 libs/libavcodec/ac3dec.c (part
> > of ffmpeg) was radically re-written.  As a matter of fact it's about
> > six times as long now.
> >
> > I'll bet that's why it's handling things differently.
> >

> I suppose that could be what is causing the issue.  Is this a problem with
> most cards then?  It seems like if its a decoder problem, then most of the
> cards would have the same issue and that the solution would be to switch to
> a card with a better receiver for QAM signals.
>
> Is there a nice source where there is an objective comparison of signal
> strength for different QAM cards (and devices, like the HD HomeRun)?
>
> --Patrick

I'm unclear what you mean whan you say "signal strength for different
QAM cards".  Signal strength is whatever it is when it reaches the
card.  Some cards may deal with a poor signal better than others
perhaps.  Signal strength can depend on a number of things, like how
many splits you have.

When recording OTA like I do it's almost inevitable that occasionally
the signal will cause some sort of video corruption.  Hell...all I
probably have to do is run a blender while recording and that can
create enough interference to do it.

While you can't ask much when it comes to handling corrupted
recordings, it certainly seems like ffmpeg isn't handling corrupted
ac3 as gracefully was before.  I may see if anyone on the dev list
knows anything about this, or possibly one of the ffmpeg lists.

Tom