[mythtv-users] Firewire in Fedora 8

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 17:09:15 UTC 2008

Tim Fenn wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:50:25 -0400 Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> I have Mythtv-0.21 installed on F8 x86_64 running kernel version
>> 2.6.24.3-34.fc8.  I have the following 1394 packages installed (via
>> rpm -qa |grep 1394):
>> libraw1394_8-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
>> libraw1394-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
>> libraw1394_8-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
>> libdc1394_22-2.0.1-10.fc8
>> libavc1394-0.5.3-1.fc6
>> libraw1394-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
>> libavc1394-0.5.3-1.fc6
>> libdc1394-2.0.1-10.fc8
>>
>> If I run plugreport, I get:
>> raw1394 - couldn't get handle: No such file or directory
>> This error usually means that the raw1394 driver is not loaded or
>> that /dev/raw1394 does not exist.
>>
>> I don't have /dev/raw1394 and running lsmod shows no 1394 modules
>> loaded.  I don't have any 1394 modules in /etc/modprobe.conf (and I
>> didn't in my old FC6 modprobe.conf either; I saved it and checked,
>> and firewire worked in FC6 for me).
>>

> My guess is that its loading the firewire_core and firewire_ohci
> modules.  If so, follow these directions to blacklist them:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora_7#Restore_old_Firewire_modules_.28optional.29
>
> HTH,
> Tim

OK, that seemed to work.  Sort of.  I followed those instructions and
saw that I now have /dev/raw1394, but when I run plugreport, I get:

[root at HJDMyth ~]# plugreport
Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x00159afffe163f4a
------------------------------
oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
        channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=376
iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

Node 1 GUID 0x0000d100801965fc
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

Host Adapter 1
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x0011d80000757c73
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

I know that I have the cable plugged in, as I never removed it when I
reinstalled my box.  Should I unplug it from the STB and plug it back
in?  Also, I see that my kernel version is 2.6.24.4-64.fc8, which is a
little newer.

I did see that my remote no longer works via lirc after I did this.  I
haven't looked too far into this, but I see in /var/log/messages that
lirc started with no errors, so I don't see why it wouldn't be working.
I do have the kernel module for 2.6.24.4-64 if that helps.

Thanks,
Harry