[mythtv-users] ffmpeg and multiple CPUs. Was: Should I be switching to 0.21?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 14 17:26:24 UTC 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:

> That is interesting.  I wonder if the same applies for AMD chips?
> IIRC, the on-screen documentation recommends not using libmpeg2 with
> 64-bit processors, but I may be incorrect.

Would this apply to 64-bit CPUs running 32-bit code? Or just to
machines running 64-bit code?

I have yet to become aware of any advantage to running Myth in 64-bit
mode, but the mpeg libs and possible commflag are where I would expect
to see a difference if it exists.

The theoretical benefits of 64-bits might well be negated by the
optimization over the years of the code for 32-bit environments.

beww