[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:29:40 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:

> Back to the literal subject - An MVP is probably the lowest power
> frontend available, though it can't handle HD.

On the MVP I have scripts to transcode the HD stuff down to the 720x480 that the
MVP can handle, and this is good enough for the most part for me.

The MVP software is being ported to a still low power but higher capability
device that will do high def, but the new device is a bit more expensive.

The current prices of the HD devices make it so that for a bit more one can have
cheap low end laptop running full mythtv, that is in a number of ways actually
better than the dedicated HD device, though usually with only VGA out since I
have not seen a cheap laptop with DVI/hdmi on it, and does not have that high of
power consumption.

                              Roger