[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 14 00:20:46 UTC 2008

On Apr 13, 2008, at 6:11 PM, steve wrote:

> Rick Hudson wrote:
>
> | Sorry to ramble but this type of misinformation against switching
> things off
> | just bugs me.
> |

> I wasnt trying to start a flame war, all I was doing was stating
> what I
> do, which is what was asked.  I have read many conflicting reports of
> whether to power down or keep it on, so I just keep it on, its not
> that
> expensive, end of story.

One of the best investments a computer user can make is a Kill-a-Watt.
It shows not only instantaneous usage but cumulative usage as well.
Nothing beats empirical data.

In warm climates you might have to not only consider the cost of
running the machine(s), but also the cost of removing the heat they
generate. In cold places the heat is a plus :-)

Roger:

Where on Earth are you getting a 6 cent/kwh rate? I may have to
consider moving there.

beww