[mythtv-users] segmentation fault in 21-fixes, libqt-mt.so.3

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Apr 13 16:54:16 UTC 2008

ikke wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 1:08 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>  Looks like it could be a bad translation file.
>>
>>  What language are you using ?
>>
>>  Does using English work OK?
>>

> Thanks, that did it! Dumb me, I though of that also while seeing the
> translating word in backtrace, but I forgot to try that. I only
> reverted the SVN to some point back, but not enough to get to time
> before the recent Finnish updates. That was actually the biggest
> reason I even upgraded.
>
> Starting it with mythfrontend -O Language=EN did the trick. Then I
> could enter the setup menu without segfault and change the language to
> english via GUI also.
>
> So there is a problem with the Finnish translations. How to find the root cause?
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5055 -the latest update.
>
> I see the files are in some weird binary format in .qm files. And lots
> of (utf8 ?) strings in .ts files. Any validator checker available for
> those?
>
> Thanks Paul and Michael, need to go watch some tv now :)

It's failing while trying to lookup the translation for 'minutes' in the
QObject context but I don't see anything obviously wrong with the
mythfrontend.fi.ts file and 'linguist' loads it with no problems and
that string is there and looks OK to me.

It could just be a bad checkout of the  mythfrontend.fi.qm file. Try
deleting it and the do  a 'svn update' to get the latest from the fixes
branch or if you want to stick with the same revision do a 'svn update
-r17013'.

If that doesn't work then you could try to regenerate the translation
files yourself, it only takes a minute or so to do.

- change to the mythtv/i18n/ directory.
- run 'lupdate translate.pro' (that scans the source files for
translated strings and creates/updates the *.ts files).
- run 'lrelease translate.pro' (that scans the *.ts files and creates
the *.qm files, it's one of these files that the frontend loads when it
starts up to do the translations).
- run 'make install'

If that fixes things then let us know as it probably means the qm file
in svn has somehow got corrupted and needs to be recreated.

Paul H.