[mythtv-users] Recording problem

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Sun Apr 13 00:43:47 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2008, at 5:28 PM, John Finlay wrote:
>

>> The other day I set mythtv up to record a program but the recording
>> failed immediately because of a problem opening/accessing the tuner (a
>> HDHR). I would have expected mythtv to then try using one of the
>> unused
>> tuners in the system to record the program. This did not happen so
>> either mythtv doesn't have this capability or I need to change a
>> setting
>> some where to enable this kind of robust error handling. I'm using
>> mythbuntu with 0.21. Can someone tell me which of the scenarios is
>> applicable?
>>

> Correct. It does not try to record again on another tuner if a
> recording fails. It has never been implemented. I'd be more interested
> in getting my HDHR to function correctly rather than implementing code
> to take up another tuner if it does.

In a perfect world all tuners would work perfectly all the time but when
they don't it would be useful to have a fallback. As I understand it
mythtv can reassign tuners if the chosen one is already busy so it would
seem most of the functionality is already there for reassigning a tuner
when the chosen tuner fails to open. But I have my answer - mythtv
doesn't deal with the given situation.

Thanks

John