[mythtv-users] DISH Receivers and external HDDs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 12 22:03:47 UTC 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> It's associated with the device, not the stream. You're essentially
> adding an mpeg decoder to your PC when you activate this service.
> After all, they are giving you software to access the stream from an
> extra device now.

I can decode and watch the stream live. I can record the stream and
watch it later without buying anything extra. The only difference is
whether I store the stream on the internal hard drive or a USB-
connected hard drive.

Apple certainly does not make me pay more for my quicktime MPEG2
license (which I paid $20 for) if I add an additional hard drive to my
Mac. I do not have to send in an additional payment for my DVD player
for each additional DVD I purchase (thus increasing my storage
capacity). I do not have to pay an additional license fee for my ATSC
TV if another channel becomes available in my area. Tivo does not
require an additional licensing payment if I increase the hard drive
storage of that device.

No, just adding an additional hard drive to an existing MPEG storage/
playback system should not require additional licensing payment.

But it's academic, I won't pay it in any case, ad we're getting a but
OT :-)

Besides, if I call DISH they will probably tell me the fee is for
licensing of the ext3 filesystem they are using :-) I wonder how much
DISH is paying to license Linux for their *proprietary* device.

Crooks!

beww