[mythtv-users] Xen and Mythtv and Mysql

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Sat Apr 12 20:54:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:32:52PM +0300, ikke wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what benefits do you guys get (or hope of
> getting) of running mythtv in virtual boxes? I have Core Duo 6750
> running myth, and still the performance is bad compared to dvb digibox
> (picture is jerky). Not to talk about putting another layer of tar in
> between the wheels.
Something is wrong then - unless you're watching some weird HiDef.  I've got a 1.6GHz Core2
laptop running a 1680x1050 display as a front end... That can almost keep up with the BBC
hidef streamed over my powerline network connection.  I think it's possible that the only
issue is actually the lack of stability in the network stream.

The main reason I've been looking to do it (Xen) is to allow me to have a very stable OS
platform that allows me to test new versions of myth more easily - as well as give me the
separation/isolation I like (I'm paranoid).  My plan was to run CentOS as the main OS, and
then have a fedora (or similar) backend running in a domain.  It would give me the ability
to snapshot the backend, do the upgrade, and if anything didn't go to plan just rollback
really easily/quickly.

> Of course, just doing it because it can be done is good enough
> reasoning for me :)
There's that too :)

Graham