[mythtv-users] Occasional zero length file from a scheduled recording?

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 14:20:52 UTC 2008

Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Anyone ever figure out something on this one?
>>

>>  Mine just started doing this with my HD5500 card, I am not sure what is  going on.
>>
>>  Signal strength is ok, on in liveTV entering has it failing but hitting Y to
>>  cycle to another tuner and then back to the 5500 so far has caused it to work
>>  every time.
>>
>>  Recording seems to fail every time.
>>
>>  Sometimes it is a zero length file (from livetv I think), and sometimes the file
>>  is not there at all (usually from a recording).
>>
>>  Are others still seeing this?
>>
>>  I am running 2.6.24.4, and it worked for 1-2 days after the initial upgrade,
>>  then after a reboot it appears to fail almost every time (and reboots don't
>>  appear to change the behavior).
>>
>>  Using getatsc to grab a signal appears to work every time.
>>
>>                        Roger

> If your HD-5500 is failing to record every time it's probably
> something very different that what I've experienced.  Like others here
> it's an extremely rare occurrence for me...I think I had it happen
> three times in the year I've been using my system.
>
> When it has happened to me, myth appears to think recording is working
> just fine, and the logs show no sign of a problem (though I've never
> had logging beyond important,general enabled when it occurred).
>
> Tom

I am pretty sure mine is the same, and it may not fail every time.   I did
several tests last night and they all failed, doing several test now they all
appear to work.

No errors, it shows that it starts recording at the correct time, and shows that
it ends at the correct ending time with no errors (kernel or mythtv), but either
a zero file is produced or no file is produced.

It will work with getatsc or if you usg 'Y' to cycle through the tuners, so the
tuner itself is ok, and the signal is ok.