[mythtv-users] MythTV Playback Settings

J. Karpick fblack947 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 19:02:00 UTC 2008

Greetings all - I'm looking to get some pointers on people's playback settings, which I'm sure is a controversial topic, but I'll forge ahead.

My new Mythbuntu based system (specs below) replaces a Via Epia M-10000 system running Windows & SageTV (dang caps blew up), so it's a significant bump in power and options for me!

Currently watching SD TV on an old CRT TV.  (HD will come eventually, but not now!)

I'm discovering that all of the available renderers and de-interlacers have their pluses and minuses, but am having a hard time getting my brain wrapped around all of the various combinations.

I loved the output from the PVR-350 on the old system - nice and sharp - even better than my TV's tuner - and that's what I'd like to get back to, but adding the ability to play h264 mp4s and DVDs, which pushes me to using the onboard TV-out.

So far, XvMC output is the best, but has random stutters (NVP: Prebuffering Pause in the logs), and can't seem to handle DVDs or h264 mp4's, which makes it undesirable for me.

Fiddling with the "Standard" ffmpeg+xv settings and using the kerneldeint de-interlacer gets me close to the same quality, but I'm thinking a little more tweaking can be done.

Should I be investigating other methods?  Trying out various filters?  Given my current system, CPU load is not an issue.

I've been searching this list, ubuntuforums, and various wikis.  The most helpful has been this:
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles , but it still leaves me questions on video output quality and compatibilities with various formats.

Thanks,
Jonathan

System specs:

AMD 64 x2 5000+
2GB Memory
nVidia 7050PV onboard video (Biostar TF7050-M2)
Hauppauge PVR-350 (with working remote!)
Antec Fusion Black 430 (with working volume knob & LCD!!)
Mythbuntu 7.10 / Mythtv 0.21