[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Mark James markj at 3cat.com
Fri Apr 11 12:29:15 UTC 2008

I'm using a 42-inch Olevia LCD and am very happy. This is a bargain
brand but for me the results are fine.
I picked it out based mostly on many positive reviews on NewEgg.
Biggest drawback is only one HDMI input, but I bought a switchbox for
my rare uses of other devices.

(I think the main problem with lower-cost LCD is the blacks are not as
black, but I don't really notice it that much.)

For Myth on a Fedora box I'm driving it with a nvidia card (GeForce
7600 GT but older models probably work as well) with a DVI-HDMI and
the setup was a no-brainer -- set the TV to do 1x1 pixels,
and the card to do the native resolution of the LCD (1360x768). It
does not need modelines at all -- it seems to be able to auto-detect
them just fine.

All HDTV content looks really nice (to my eyes, at least) and DVDs
played through the Myth look good, too.

I second Stoller's comment -- do NOT test with a Mac Book Pro! I have
one of these two and cannot get decent output to the Olevia -- for
some reason it just can't seem to do the TV's native resolution.

When viewing the Mac's desktop there are all sorts of color shadows on
type and other artifacts that don't appear with the Myth setup.

I don't understand this since the MacBook Pro is able to drive all
sorts of other LCD displays just fine, but it does not seem to like
the TV.