[mythtv-users] Tuner recomendation for trial system

bungle nabble.e.wuuza at xoxy.net
Thu Apr 10 19:25:15 UTC 2008

allene222 wrote:

> On the other point, I want to know if I can run mythtv and handle things
> like a 1080i transmission going to my 720p projector along with the other
> things the PC would need to so, like record one show while watching
> another.

Do you already have any capture cards now?  ATSC capture and hardware-based
SD cards take very little CPU for recording.  If you can watch HD with a
little headroom you should have no problem recording while doing that.  Your
disk might have a lot of activity, but it should be fine.  You could install
Myth and get some samples set up in MythVideo and test playback ability and
quality without having to get a card.

allene222 wrote:

> So, what I was looking for was advice on picking a tuner card.

I would start here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Video_Capture_Card#ATSC_US.2FCanada_.22HDTV.22_cards

The HDHomeRun is pretty popular, so if you didn't like it you could probably
sell it easily. If you do, you already have a second tuner.  Otherwise,
choose the cheapest one in that list for low-risk.  I have an HDHomeRun and
like it; otherwise, I don't know enough to give advice.

HTH,
John